A favorite food for the Monarch Butterfly. Monarch butterflies feed exclusively on milkweed plants and depend on them for their survival. Choose from tropical milkweed varieties or our California native species.
THREAD LEAF MILKWEED – Asclepias fascicularis
- California native
- Grows wild in Orange County
- Easy to grow in a sunny garden
- Creamy white to pink flowers in clusters
- Summer blooming
- To three feet high and wide
- Perennial, that goes dormant each winter, regrows each Spring
TROPICAL MILKWEED – Asclepias curassavica
- Native to Central and South America.
- Colorful flowers, in shades or orange, yellow or red.
- Easy to grow in a sunny garden.
- Two to three feet high and a little less wide.
- Evergreen, flowering most of the year.
- Important to cut to 3 – 4 inches every winter.
- Remove seed heads to prevent reseeding.