Chilean Cranberry Bean Stew Recipe
- A Rancho Gordo Recipe
- ½ pound dry Rancho Gordo Cranberry or Marcella beans picked over and rinsed
- ½ pound pumpkin or hard winter squash, cleaned and cubed about 2 cups
- Salt and freshy ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed about 2 cups
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Rancho Gordo New Mexican Red Chile Powder
1. Cook the beans in plenty water until tender, 1-3 hours. Add the pumpkin, ½ tsp. salt, a few basil leaves, and more water if needed. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, garlic, more basil leaves, paprika, and cumin, plus more salt and pepper. Fry until the onion is soft and fragrant, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the corn to the pumpkin and beans: cook until tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the onion mixture into the pumpkin-corn mixture and add the butter. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with fresh basil and chile powder, if desired.