German Green Sauce Recipe Made with Unique Herbs
In Germany green sauce is known as Frankfurter Grüne Soße. It is a traditional dish in Frankfurt and Hessen. The cold herb sauce consists of sour cream, boiled eggs, spices, and of course, herbs. Frankfurter Grie Soß is served with potatoes and boiled eggs, or with Tafelspitz (prime cooked beef), or fish.
Frankfurter Schnitzel is a crumbed (paniert) pork schnitzel served with green sauce and potatoes.
The most important ingredients of the Frankfurter Grie Soß, as the green sauce is called in the local dialect, are seven particular herbs. The percentage of each herb should not be more than 30%, and 70% of the herbs should have been grown in Frankfurt.
The Seven Herbs Are:
• Borretsch - Borage - Borago officinalis
• Kerbel - Chervil - Anthriscus cerefolium
• Kresse - Garden Cress - Lepidium sativum
• Petersilie - Parsley - Petroselinum crispum
• Pimpinelle - Salad Burnet - Sanguisorba minor
• Sauerampfer - Sorrel - Rumex acetosa
• Schnittlauch - Chives - Allium schoenoprasum
Ingredients for 2 servings as a Main Dish
• 250g herbs
• 250g sour cream with 20-25% fat
• 150g yogurt
• 2 hard-boiled eggs
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• salt & pepper
Wash the herbs and dry them on paper towel, remove the thick stems
Peel the eggs and put the yolk into a mixing bowl, add lemon juice, 2/3 of the herbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the yogurt
Puree using a hand blender
Stir the sour cream into the mixture
Add the coarsely chopped egg white
At the end, add the remaining finely chopped herbs and season with pepper, salt and lemon juice.
Let the green sauce rest in the fridge for at least one hour. Serve with boiled potatoes and boiled eggs cut in halves, this is the most traditional way.
Vegan Version of the Green Sauce Recipe - Grüne Soße
The Seven Herbs
Use young, fresh herbs for the best taste. Herb amounts are approximate because it really is to each person's taste.
• Two large handfuls of sorrel - bright lemony flavor
• A light cup or two of chervil - light anise flavor
• A big handful of salad burnet - nutty cucumber flavor
• A big handful of curly cress - peppery flavor
• About 8-10 leaves of borage - cucumber mixed with omega fatty taste. Borage is very "earthy" and isn't to everyone's taste so add to your taste.
• About a half cup (chopped finely) of chives - sweet onion taste. Keep some for garnishing.
• Two large handfuls of parsley - fresh, bright and slightly bitter
• Feel free to substitute lovage, a little dill (not too much), lemon balm or even little basil!
Press a half block of tofu (medium) for 30 minutes while you're cleaning and prepping the herbs by removing the large stems.
Smash the tofu into a bowl, add 1/2 t. "black" sulphur (Kala Namak) salt and 1/2 t. turmeric mix together until it looks like egg salad. Set aside.
Put 8-12 oz. vegan sour cream and 8-12 oz. vegan plain (unsweetened) yogurt & squeeze the juice from one lemon into the processor.
Add your herbs and process until it's well mixed, then add the tofu mixture and pulse until mixed together. Salt & pepper to taste and serve over boiled, then peeled potatoes.