Farmhouse Grilled Shrimp and Rice Noodles with Cilantro, Thai Basil, Lemon Basil, and Spearmint
Grilled Shrimp and Rice Noodles vegetables and tangerines, citrus, herb and fish sauce vinaigrette
For Base Sauce/ Marinade
• ½ cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
• ½ cup chopped mint, leaves and stems
• ½ cup chopped Thai/lemon basil, leaves and stems
• 2 Limes, zest and juice
• 1 orange, zest and juice
• 1 TBS minced ginger
• 1 TBS minced garlic
• 1 TBS minced shallot
• ¼ cup sesame oil
• ½ tsp chile paste
Blend together in a food processor and season lightly with salt and fresh ground pepper (makes 1 cup)
To Make The Vinaigrette
• ½ cup of the base sauce
• ¼ cup fish sauce
• 1 TBS honey
• ¼ cup rice vinegar
Place in a bowl and whisk together while slowly adding ½ cup grapeseed oil or some other neutral flavored oil ( you can use olive oil if desired) (makes 1 ¼ cups)
For The Salad
• 2 cups lightly packed Rice Noodles, we used a thicker noodle similar to a fettuccine, you can use a vermicelli sized rice noodle if you would like.
• ¼ cup shredded carrots
• ¼ cup finely julienned red onions
• ¼ cup shaved fennel
• ¼ cup julienned blanched sugar snap peas
• ¼ cup thinly sliced baby bok choy, leaves and stalk
• ¼ cup radishes sliced in half and then sliced - half moons
• ¼ cup Persian cucumber sliced in half and cut, half moon shape
• Tangerine segments from 2 seedless tangerines, about a half a cup
• 1 TBS julienned basil, 1 TBS mint leaves, and 1 TBS chopped cilantro
• 2 TBS mixed into salad and 1 TBS sprinkled on as garnish
• ¼ cup arugula - lightly packed
• 2 TBS dressing to toss in salad and 1 TBS for garnish
• 2 lime wedges for garnish
Place your ingredients in a bowl and toss lightly with the 2 TBS of dressing - more or less to taste, saving your garnish ingredients And arugula for plating salad (Feeds 2 plus people)
You can serve salad as is or add grilled shrimp, chicken or fish. To prep your protein place it in a bowl and season lightly with salt and fresh ground pepper. To marinade spoon in some of base sauce and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate up to 6 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let it come to room temp before grilling.
To Assemble Salad
Take a large platter or bowl and spoon a TBS or so of the base sauce on the plate and use your spoon to create a nike type swoosh on the outside edge.
Place arugula in center of plate and then place salad mix on arugula allowing some of the arugula to be visible around outside of salad.
Garnish with remaining tangerines, sprinkle herb mix around outside of salad and lightly spoon a little more dressing around salad.
Add lime wedges for garnish to be sprinkled on salad before eating.
If enjoying a grilled protein, place it on top of salad with a light drizzle of vinaigrette. You can substitute mixed lettuces for the rice noodles if you would like. Add sesame seeds or crushed peanuts for texture.
Add or subtract to this recipe and make it your own. It is a nice summer addition to your dinner menu.